- New Products
- Dining Room
- Home Office
- Living Room
- TV/Media Storage
- Bar Carts/Cabinets
- Room Settings
- Room Settings
- Design Resources
- What's New
Care & Cleaning
Casegoods Care & Cleaning Tips
Each piece of Bernhardt furniture is created to provide exceptional performance with minimal care. Attention to a few basic points will help you protect your investment.
- Fine wood furniture should not be exposed to extreme heat or humid conditions, such as placing it near a heat outlet or an open window. Try to avoid direct sunlight which may cause certain finishes to fade.
- Do not place plastic, rubber or hot objects directly on a wood finish. Chemicals in plastic and some rubber may soften or discolor the finish if left in contact with the furniture for a period of time. To avoid these markings, place a strip of felt, leather or cork under accessories.
- Remove household dust with a soft, clean cloth, dusting with the grain. The cloth may be dampened with a furniture dusting-aid product, or a furniture care polish may be used. Follow the manufacturer’s directions on the product. Avoid products that leave an oily film on the furniture since they may cause a clouding of the finish and have a tendency to collect dust.
- Every six months or so, there may be a need or desire for a more thorough cleaning of wood furniture. The furniture may be washed with a mild soap intended for that purpose or a furniture cleaning product available in most grocery stores. Following the directions on the product, use a soft cloth and wipe with the grain.
- Occasional polishing with a high quality, non-silicone furniture polish will enhance the beauty of the fine Bernhardt finish. Avoid using oily polishes or waxes.
- Spilled liquids should be wiped from the surface immediately with a soft, slightly damp cloth, in the direction of the wood grain.
- Over time, scratches from normal use may be noticed on furniture. These can be touched up with a scratch remover or special touch-up pens/sticks available at your furniture dealer.
- For stone, metal and other non-wood surfaces, wipe off anything that spills immediately by blotting, avoid setting beverages on these surfaces, do not use abrasive cleaners and use felt pads under object that may scratch.
Upholstery Care & Cleaning Tips
Bernhardt upholstered furniture is crafted for many years of comfort and performance. To help keep your upholstery looking new, certain precautions and cleaning instructions should be followed.
- Proper placement of your upholstery in a room can contribute to its life. Try to avoid placing your fabric or leather furniture in direct sunlight and maintain a safe distance from a heat source.
- Remember to vacuum your furniture often. This will help prevent dust and other debris from becoming embedded in the fabric. Use the soft brush attachment on your vacuum cleaner for leather upholstery.
- As you settle into your new fabric or leather upholstery, “comfort wrinkles” will begin to appear. This is a natural part of the upholstery maturing process. Cushions and pillows should be reversed on a regular basis, where applicable. This keeps the filling evenly distributed to minimize wrinkles and maximize comfort.
- All fabrics have a cleaning code. You can learn this code and the published cleaning instructions for the piece or pieces you have purchased by going to bernhardt.com/fabrics.
- Any product or technique should always be tested on an inconspicuous area before attempting overall cleaning. Bernhardt cannot endorse any particular product or cleaning method for fabric. We recommend using a professional cleaning service whenever possible.
- Leather Upholstery: Dust regularly with a clean dust cloth, do not use furniture polish, oils, varnishes, ammonia water, soaps or dusting agents. To help remove soil or stains, use lukewarm water and thoroughly clean an area of the leather that includes the stain. Avoid dabbing the stained area only. Do not rub. Let dry naturally and repeat if necessary. Avoid using ink pens, nail polish, nail polish remover or other harmful products near your leather furniture to avoid spills and avoid placing newspapers or magazines on the surface, as the inks may transfer onto the leather.