Care & Cleaning
Casegoods Care & Cleaning Tips
Each piece of Bernhardt furniture is created to provide exceptional performance with minimal care. Attention to a few basic points will help you protect your investment.
- Fine wood furniture should not be exposed to extreme heat or humid conditions, such as placing it near a heat outlet or an open window. Try to avoid direct sunlight which may cause certain finishes to fade. Every effort is made at Bernhardt to make the finish as fade-proof as possible.
- Do not place plastic, rubber or hot objects directly on a wood finish. Chemicals in plastic and some rubber may soften or discolor the finish if left in contact with the furniture for a long period of time. To avoid these markings, place a strip of felt, leather or cork under accessories.
- Every six months or so, there may be a need or desire for more thorough cleaning of wood furniture than routine dusting. The furniture may be washed with a mild soap intended for that purpose or a furniture cleaning product available in most grocery stores. Following the directions on the product, use a soft cloth and wipe with the grain. A furniture polish may be applied if a little more shine is desired.
- Spilled liquids should be wiped from the surface immediately with a soft, slightly damp cloth, in the direction of the wood grain.
- Remove household dust with a soft, clean cloth, dusting with the grain. The cloth may be dampened with a furniture dusting-aid product, or a furniture care polish may be used. Follow the manufacturerís directions on the product. Avoid products that leave an oily film on the furniture since they may cause a clouding of the finish and have a tendency to collect dust.
- Occasional polishing with a high quality, non-silicone furniture polish will enhance the beauty of the fine Bernhardt finish. Avoid using oily polishes or waxes.
- Over time, scratches from normal use may be noticed on furniture. These can be touched up with a scratch remover or special touch-up pens or sticks available at your furniture dealer or at many paint stores.
Upholstery Care & Cleaning Tips
Bernhardt upholstered furniture is crafted for many years of comfort and performance. To help keep your upholstery looking new, certain precautions and cleaning instructions should be followed.
- All cushions and pillows should be reversed on a regular basis. This keeps the filling evenly distributed for maximum comfort.
- All fabrics have a cleaning code. Your salesperson will help you learn the code for the piece or pieces you have purchased.
- This piece complies with all Upholstered Furniture Action Council (UFAC) criteria established to reduce, but not necessarily eliminate, ignition of fabric and filling by a burning cigarette.
- Due to the wide range of fibers used today, it is impossible to publish cleaning instructions that apply to all fabrics. We recommend using a professional cleaning service whenever possible.
- Satisfactory results are usually achieved by cleaning with a non-water based foam cleaner, provided that manufacturer’s directions are carefully adhered to. Any product or technique should always be tested on an inconspicuous area before attempting overall cleaning. Bernhardt cannot endorse any particular product or cleaning method for fabric.
- Leather Upholstery: Dust regularly with a clean dust cloth, do not use furniture polish, oils, varnishes, ammonia water, soaps or dusting agents.
- To help remove soil or stains, use lukewarm water and thoroughly clean an area of the leather that includes the stain. Avoid dabbing the stained area only. Do not rub.
- Let dry naturally and repeat if necessary.